bell hooks, born Gloria Watkins, was a feminist, activist, professor, poet and author.
A graduate of Stanford University, she began her academic career at the Univeristy of Southern California. She published more than 30 books. Her work was often focused on the overlapping identities of Black women where race, sexuality and gender were concerned. Her pen name is in honor of her maternal great Bell Blair Hooks and served as a tribute women's legacies.
- And There We Wept: poems 1978
- Ain't I a Woman? 1981.
- Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center. 1984.
- Talking Back: Thinking feminist, thinking Black. Between the Lines. 1989
- We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity 2004
- Soul Sister: Women, Friendship, and Fulfillment 2005
- Happy to be Nappy 1998
- Homemade Love 2002